Sunday, September 21, 2014

Swim Across America-Golden Gate Bridge Swim

Good morning bay! One of my favorite things as an open water swimmer, is watching the sun slowly peek up as you swim into sunrise. This morning I was fortunate enough to both watch a lovely bay sunrise and get a swim in! This morning I did a swim from the Golden Gate Bridge to Yacht Harbor with Swim Across America. This organization hosts several events around the country, all of which raise money to support cancer research. These swims are on various days, times and places around the country, and money raised goes to support local beneficiaries.

Watching the sun peek over the Bay Bridge. 
It was a wonderful day on the water to be part of such an amazing event! The conditions were great and the swim went by quick! I first participated in this event in high school at the suggestion of my friend Aly's mother, Susan. A three-time cancer survivor herself, Susan is a fundraising dynamo and a overall powerful organizer. It has always been an honor and a pleasure to swim on her team for 3 years!

Below are some pictures that I think captured the spirit of the event today.


Team Susan Survives at a pre-event gathering to celebrate the amazing amount of money raised to support pediatric cancer treatment and research. The two beneficiaries are UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital and Children's Hospital Oakland. 
Got to hear from some amazing people to today, such as Marisa, and also got to swim alongside them. Here are just a few of the strong, passionate people that I was handing out with this morning. We are all sporting our cute Jolyn suits. LtoR: Me, Marisa (badass cancer survivor!), Aly Levine (future doctor, long-time swim buddy and good friend), Susan Levine( Aly's mom, 3x cancer survivor and event organizer, and Heather Petri (4xOlympic WaterPolo medalist and JolynNorcal Rep). 

In addition to celebrating Susan and all of the other amazing survivors and those currently battling cancer, I swam in honor of Sue "Tudy" Maxwell . At this point we were about five minutes out from our jump. They gave us a few moments to toss a flower  into the water and to reflect on why we were swimming today. 

Aly and I, right before our jump (Keeping my eyes open didnt seem to be a priority at the time). I was so happy to have a final swimming hurrah with her before she leaves to conquer the world of medicine in Boston.  



Jasper, (Ezra) and I after the swim today. Shout out to Jasper for being a volunteer kayaker today. We are always in need of kind souls to keep us safe during any type of swimming event. And of course a million thanks to our amazing momma who is always there to support us via the way of snacks, transportation and water. 

Overall, SAA was a fabulous experience and just wanted to share it with you all. If you are interested in participating next year in a city near you, just check out their website (see link above) and get crackin' on your fundraising.

In other news, I have been connecting with a bunch of Grinnell alums recently, not only in real life but also on our online support communities. I recently posted my blog and fundraising site on our alum page and received awesome support: words of encouragement/good vibes, $ and food. Recently I was able to attend brunch with Karin Sedestrom Wertheim and her crew. It was great to meet of all you, and just wanted to give you all a shout out!!




Selfie with Karin, Brandon and Lily! Thank you sososo much for feeding me, and for all your support!!

Feeling apprehensive about donating??? Scared about making the plunge? Don't want to use GoFundMe? Don't you worry... there are other ways that you can donate...just shoot me a message or leave a comment. ALSO Feel free to ask me about the foundation that I am raising money for, The National Alliance on Mental Illness-SF Consider my swim as one reallllly big ice bucket challenge....without being at risk for receiving a nomination (I'll do all the work for you!!).
Until next time,
Delia

No comments:

Post a Comment